Charles Barkley: Gays Can Play Ball
BY Michelle Garcia
May 13 2011 1:10 PM ET
Former NBA MVP and commentator Charles Barkley said that openly gay professional athletes would most likely be accepted by team mates based on their skills on the court, rather than their sexual orientation.
"If somebody is gay, that's their own business," he said on SiriusXM Radio Thursday. "But it bothers me how people try to say that jocks are not going to like a gay….I think gay people should be allowed to get married and God bless them, that's their own business. Listen, if a guy can't play, that's the only time we don't want to play with him. We don't care about all that extracurricular stuff."
Barkley was asked for his thoughts on gay athletes after New York Rangers star Sean Avery got involved in campaigning for marriage equality.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 26 min 35 sec ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 39 min 59 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM