Chicago Police Station Converted to LGBT Senior Home
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 13 2011 2:00 PM ET
A former police station on the North Side of Chicago that once symbolized discrimination will be incorporated into a housing development for LGBT seniors in the Boystown neighborhood.
According to the Chicago Sun Times, “For $1, the city will sell the old Town Hall District station, 3600 N. Halsted, to Heartland Housing Inc., sources said. The nonprofit developer will incorporate the old station into new construction of about 90 apartments for senior citizens.”
The sale requires city council approval. Heartland Housing said it must secure tax credits and other funding sources to keep apartments affordable, with the funding process expected to take about a year. Apartments will be priced for lower-income renters.
Mayor Richard Daley, an LGBT rights champion who leaves office Monday, helped make the arrangements as a parting favor to the community. The area is represented by Alderman Tom Tunney, the first openly gay member of the City Council. Apartments will be priced for lower-income renters.
The Sun Times reports that, “The project will include ground-floor commercial space and social services provided in conjunction with the Center on Halsted next door. The $20 million center opened in 2007, billed as the Midwest’s first permanent community center for gays.”
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM