N.B.A. Executive Rick Welts Comes Out
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 15 2011 11:15 PM ET
Rick Welts, the CEO and president of basketball team Phoenix Suns, has publicly revealed he is gay, according to a profile in The New York Times.
Welts, 58, discusses the difficulty he faced trying to maintain a relationship while closeted and explained that he wants to "pierce the silence that envelops the subject of homosexuality in men’s team sports. He wants to be a mentor to gay people who harbor doubts about a sports career, whether on the court or in the front office. Most of all, he wants to feel whole, authentic."
Welts's revelation makes him Welts one of the most prominent figures active in American sports to openly declare that he is gay. Read the full profile here.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 2 min 51 sec ago
- Women Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 3 min 2 sec ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 8 min 43 sec ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 23 min 5 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 50 min 59 sec ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 1 hour 11 min ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 1 hour 14 min ago