N.B.A. Executive Rick Welts Comes Out
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 15 2011 11:15 PM ET
Rick Welts, the CEO and president of basketball team Phoenix Suns, has publicly revealed he is gay, according to a profile in The New York Times.
Welts, 58, discusses the difficulty he faced trying to maintain a relationship while closeted and explained that he wants to "pierce the silence that envelops the subject of homosexuality in men’s team sports. He wants to be a mentor to gay people who harbor doubts about a sports career, whether on the court or in the front office. Most of all, he wants to feel whole, authentic."
Welts's revelation makes him Welts one of the most prominent figures active in American sports to openly declare that he is gay. Read the full profile here.
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Even the Rehearsal Footage From Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour Is Spellbinding
- These Are the U.S. Trans Women Killed in 2015
- Boy Scouts' Ban on Gay Adults Lifted
- Franklin Graham: Obama Promoting 'Immorality' by Supporting LGBT Rights in Kenya