Moscow Pride Canceled... Again
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 18 2011 2:00 PM ET
Even though Moscow's former mayor, the virulently homophobic Yuri Luzhkov, was fired in September, the city's new mayor has followed in his predecessor's steps by banning gay pride in the Russian capital.
Gay activists including Nikolai Alekseyev had hoped that new mayor Sergei Sobyanin would be more amenable to allowing Moscow Gay Pride, which Luzhkov refused to do. But city officials denied a permit for the pride event on the grounds that it will spark civil unrest — the letter was received on Tuesday, the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia.
"I don't think it was premeditated, it's simply a coincidence, but this coincidence is nonetheless symbolic," Alekseyev said, according to Radio Free Europe. "As events are held around the world — including at an official level — to mark the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, Russia pursues its caveman, primitive policy of bans."
Amnesty International called on Moscow to change its decision, and gay leaders like Alekseyev are still planning to hold a pride event.
Read the full story here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Father of Teen Lesbian Facing Felony for Same-Sex Relationship Says Daughter's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 18 min 31 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 1 hour 1 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 1 hour 14 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 1 hour 28 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 1 hour 28 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 1 hour 29 min ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational Couples Stranded 1 hour 40 min ago