Sports: 25 Coming Out Stories in 2011
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 18 2011 12:20 PM ET
Even though professional sports seems to be one of the last places where few gay people can exist openly, many in the world of athletics are paving a path for the first major professional athlete to come out.
Editors of the website Outsports took a look back over the past five months, culminating in a list of at least 25 sports figures -- athletes, coaches, journalists, and executives -- who have come out to the media. Additionally, numerous professional athletes, including Charles Barkley and Grant Hill, have voiced their support of gay rights.
For the full list, visit Outsports.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Can Marc Carson's Murder Have as Much Impact as Matthew Shepard's? 2 hours 27 min ago
- Music The Comeback: ABBA's Agnetha Fältskog 2 hours 47 min ago
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 7:33 AM
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM
- Current Issue Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You 4:00 AM
- Current Issue The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue 4:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM