Sports: 25 Coming Out Stories in 2011
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 18 2011 12:20 PM ET
Even though professional sports seems to be one of the last places where few gay people can exist openly, many in the world of athletics are paving a path for the first major professional athlete to come out.
Editors of the website Outsports took a look back over the past five months, culminating in a list of at least 25 sports figures -- athletes, coaches, journalists, and executives -- who have come out to the media. Additionally, numerous professional athletes, including Charles Barkley and Grant Hill, have voiced their support of gay rights.
For the full list, visit Outsports.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Catholics: Antigay Leaders Get Boot, a Progressive Becomes American Archbishop
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs