Sports: 25 Coming Out Stories in 2011
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 18 2011 12:20 PM ET
Even though professional sports seems to be one of the last places where few gay people can exist openly, many in the world of athletics are paving a path for the first major professional athlete to come out.
Editors of the website Outsports took a look back over the past five months, culminating in a list of at least 25 sports figures -- athletes, coaches, journalists, and executives -- who have come out to the media. Additionally, numerous professional athletes, including Charles Barkley and Grant Hill, have voiced their support of gay rights.
For the full list, visit Outsports.
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM