Sports: 25 Coming Out Stories in 2011
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 18 2011 12:20 PM ET
Even though professional sports seems to be one of the last places where few gay people can exist openly, many in the world of athletics are paving a path for the first major professional athlete to come out.
Editors of the website Outsports took a look back over the past five months, culminating in a list of at least 25 sports figures -- athletes, coaches, journalists, and executives -- who have come out to the media. Additionally, numerous professional athletes, including Charles Barkley and Grant Hill, have voiced their support of gay rights.
For the full list, visit Outsports.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- 10 Transgender Kings and Queens Who Ruled the School
- Welcome to Night Vale: Where Queer Is Normal and Normal Is Bizarre
- Op-ed: Why LGBT and the GOP Are Better Together