Sports: 25 Coming Out Stories in 2011
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 18 2011 12:20 PM ET
Even though professional sports seems to be one of the last places where few gay people can exist openly, many in the world of athletics are paving a path for the first major professional athlete to come out.
Editors of the website Outsports took a look back over the past five months, culminating in a list of at least 25 sports figures -- athletes, coaches, journalists, and executives -- who have come out to the media. Additionally, numerous professional athletes, including Charles Barkley and Grant Hill, have voiced their support of gay rights.
For the full list, visit Outsports.
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- Mayweather, Pacquiao: Two Checkered Pasts with LGBTs, One with Women
- Op-ed: Helping Gays Find Love Isn't Easy, Especially In the South
- New Details Emerge as Officials Rule Leelah Alcorn's Death a 'Suicide'
- Utah High School Elects State's First Transgender Prom Queen
- Smith College Now Admits Trans Women