Professional Bowling Champ Comes Out
BY Michelle Garcia
May 19 2011 4:30 PM ET
A professional bowler who was named Rookie of the Year says being openly gay while on the tour was "extremely important" to him, so that he could act as a role model for fellow gay athletes.
After passing the California bar exam in 2009, Scott Norton went on to pursue another lifelong dream of becoming a professional bowler. In his first season, 2010-2011, Norton won a Professional Bowling Association tour title and was named PBA Rookie of the Year by his peers. Norton wrote on the league's website Thursday, that his experience on the tour "surpassed nearly everything I could hope for in terms of acceptance."
"I am very proud and happy with who I am and who I have become as a person," he added, "and I would hope that this will empower other gay athletes – past, present, or future – to come to terms with the truth about who they are and love themselves for who they are."
Read his full op-ed on PBA.com.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Dallas Councilwoman Objects to "Homosexual Conduct" in HIV Testing Billboard
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain 19 min 12 sec ago
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood 1 hour 53 min ago
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos 2 hours 17 min ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 5:44 PM