Professional Bowling Champ Comes Out
BY Michelle Garcia
May 19 2011 3:30 PM ET
A professional bowler who was named Rookie of the Year says being openly gay while on the tour was "extremely important" to him, so that he could act as a role model for fellow gay athletes.
After passing the California bar exam in 2009, Scott Norton went on to pursue another lifelong dream of becoming a professional bowler. In his first season, 2010-2011, Norton won a Professional Bowling Association tour title and was named PBA Rookie of the Year by his peers. Norton wrote on the league's website Thursday, that his experience on the tour "surpassed nearly everything I could hope for in terms of acceptance."
"I am very proud and happy with who I am and who I have become as a person," he added, "and I would hope that this will empower other gay athletes – past, present, or future – to come to terms with the truth about who they are and love themselves for who they are."
Read his full op-ed on PBA.com.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 5 min 48 sec ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 22 min 53 sec ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 31 min 25 sec ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 56 min 29 sec ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 59 min 29 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 1 hour 32 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 1 hour 36 min ago