Gallup Poll: Majority for Marriage Equality
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 20 2011 7:20 AM ET
A new Gallup Poll is the latest national survey in the past few months to show that a majority of Americans support marriage equality, although it indicates that only minorities of Republicans and older Americans support the issue.
Politico reports on the Gallup Poll, the third national poll in the last two months to indicate that more Americans than not support marriage equality.
“In the poll, conducted earlier this month, Gallup found 53 percent of Americans saying that marriages between same-sex couples should be considered valid and come with the same rights as heterosexual marriages, while 45 percent said same-sex marriages should not,” reports Politico.
Just last year in a Gallup poll, the numbers of support and opposition were nearly reversed, at 44% in favor and 53% opposed.
The poll follows recent surveys from CNN and the Washington Post/ABC News that found a majority of Americans for marriage equality.
According to Gallup, “The issue does, however, remain highly divisive. While big majorities of Democrats and young people support the idea of legalizing same-sex marriage, fewer than 4 in 10 Republicans and older Americans agree. Republicans in particular seem fixed in their opinions; there was no change at all in their support level this year, while independents' and Democrats' support jumped by double-digit margins.”
Read more here.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 52 min 45 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 2 hours 33 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 2 hours 41 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM