Lisa Lampanelli Turns Westboro Hate Into AIDS Cash Cow
BY Winston Gieseke
May 21 2011 12:10 PM ET
Comedian Lisa Lampanelli, who vowed to donate $1,000 to GMHC for every member of Fred Phelp’s Westboro Baptist Church who picketed her show last night in Topeka, Kansas, has said she will give $44,000 to the nation's oldest HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment, and care services provider.
"We are grateful for Lisa Lampanelli's kindness and courage to fight homophobia," said Marjorie Hill, PhD, CEO of GMHC. "She is holding up a mirror to bigotry and hatred, and reflecting back love and generosity."
Before her show, Lampanelli, who has steadfastly supported the LGBT community, went outside to greet the protesters, 44 of whom showed up holding signs with messages saying “God Hates Fag Enablers,” “God Hates America,” and “God Hates You.”
After the show, the comedian tweeted that she will be writing a check for $44,000 in the church's name.
Watch the video below.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM