Mob Attacks Virginia Trans Woman
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 25 2011 3:05 PM ET
A transgender woman was brutally beaten by at least four attackers outside a Fredericksburg, Va., 7-Eleven Saturday.
The victim, who has not been identified by the media, says her attackers pulled up in a car as she emerged from the store and backed her against a wall, kicking her and beating her with their fists and a metal broom handle while shouting slurs that mocked her transgender status.
"The first time I feared for my life," the 32-year-old victim told Washington, D.C.’s NBC4, "is when I actually got knocked out."
The woman suffered injuries to her face and mouth, as well as bruising about her body before her next-door neighbor came over and covered the victim’s body with her own to protect her from the blows.
While the suspects fled the scene, witnesses noted the license plate of their vehicle, which led to the arrest of two teenage suspects. Two additional suspects are still at large.
"It hurts, it really hurts to get treated like a dog," said the victim, "and that’s the way I feel like I was treated, like a stray animal."
Read more here.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 31 min 44 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 2 hours 27 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 2 hours 30 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM