People Think 1 in 4 Americans are Gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 27 2011 1:20 PM ET
A new Gallup poll indicates that the average American believes that a quarter of the population is gay or lesbian. Additionally, 35% of those polled think the figure is even higher.
Participants were asked, "Just your best guess, what percent of Americans today would you say are gay or lesbian?" Only 4% of respondents say less than 5% of Americans are gay. Gallup asked the same question in 2002, with average estimates that 21% of men were gay and 22% of women.
The poll is a heavy contrast from the Williams Institute study from earlier this year counting only 3.5% of the population as gay, lesbian, or bisexual, and another 1% as transgender.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 18 min 58 sec ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 34 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 2 hours 56 min ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 3:30 PM
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 3:18 PM
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 3:02 PM
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2:58 PM