KKK Versus Westboro at Memorial Day Protest
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 31 2011 2:40 PM ET
A group of demonstrators affiliated with the Ku Klux Klan staged a counterprotest Monday against members of the antigay Westboro Baptist Church at Arlington National Cemetery.
Several people protested against Westboro, known for its antigay messages scrawled on large signs at the funerals of fallen troops and people with AIDS. Among them were 10 members of a group claiming to be a branch of the Ku Klux Klan, known as the Knights of the Southern Cross in Virginia.
Dennis LaBonte, the "imperial wizard" of the KKK offshoot, told CNN, "It's the soldier that fought and died and gave them that right to free speech."
Abigail Phelps countered that members of the KKK "have no moral authority on anything." She added, "People like them say it's white power ... white supremacy. The Bible doesn't say anywhere that it's an abomination to be born of a certain gender or race."
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island