KKK Versus Westboro at Memorial Day Protest
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 31 2011 1:40 PM ET
A group of demonstrators affiliated with the Ku Klux Klan staged a counterprotest Monday against members of the antigay Westboro Baptist Church at Arlington National Cemetery.
Several people protested against Westboro, known for its antigay messages scrawled on large signs at the funerals of fallen troops and people with AIDS. Among them were 10 members of a group claiming to be a branch of the Ku Klux Klan, known as the Knights of the Southern Cross in Virginia.
Dennis LaBonte, the "imperial wizard" of the KKK offshoot, told CNN, "It's the soldier that fought and died and gave them that right to free speech."
Abigail Phelps countered that members of the KKK "have no moral authority on anything." She added, "People like them say it's white power ... white supremacy. The Bible doesn't say anywhere that it's an abomination to be born of a certain gender or race."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 33 min 57 sec ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 1 hour 31 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 1 hour 45 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 3 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 2 hours 16 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Two and a Half Men's Respectful Job With Trans Character 2 hours 45 min ago
- Health New Campaign Inspires LGBT Americans to Take Advantage of Obamacare 3:58 PM