Va. Lawmaker Wants Pride Flag Removed
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 06 2011 9:40 AM ET
Virginia delegate Robert Marshall has written a letter to the president of the Richmond Federal Reserve Bank urging that a rainbow flag being flown for Gay Pride Month be removed.
The Washington Post reports on the letter that Marshall wrote to Jeffrey Lacker, president of the Richmond Federal Reserve. Prism, the bank’s LGBT group, requested that the flag be flown, and a Federal Reserve spokesman said the flag reflects the bank’s commitment to diversity, adding that some critics mistakenly think the bank is a government entity.
However, according to the Post, Marshall, among the most conservative members of the Virginia General Assembly, said that homosexuality “adds significantly to illness, increases health costs, promotes venereal diseases, and worsens the population imbalance relating to the number of workers supporting the beneficiaries of America’s Social Security and Medicare programs.”
He wrote, “I do not believe that a celebration of ‘gay pride’ has anything to do with the mission of the Federal Reserve under the Federal Reserve Act passed by Congress. This is a celebration of a behavior that is still a class six felony in Virginia. How can the American people trust the judgement of the Federal Reserve as an institution when its spokesperson celebrates an attack on public morals?”
Delegate Riley E. Ingram also contacted the bank to oppose the flag.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope' 1 hour 15 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 4:00 AM
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM