Gay Cop Barred From Pride March
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 07 2011 12:25 PM ET
A gay police officer in California was told by superiors that his request to participate in the West Hollywood Gay Pride Parade was denied because it would bring "discredit" to his department.
The unidentified officer wanted to march in his uniform at this weekend's parade. However, the department responded to his request, in writing, by saying his participation would be a "discredit" to the force, according to TMZ.
He will file an employment discrimination complaint based on the treatment he received from his supervisor.
The officer will be represented by attorney Gloria Allred during a press conference Tuesday at 11 a.m. in Los Angeles.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World