Gay Cop Barred From Pride March
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 07 2011 11:25 AM ET
A gay police officer in California was told by superiors that his request to participate in the West Hollywood Gay Pride Parade was denied because it would bring "discredit" to his department.
The unidentified officer wanted to march in his uniform at this weekend's parade. However, the department responded to his request, in writing, by saying his participation would be a "discredit" to the force, according to TMZ.
He will file an employment discrimination complaint based on the treatment he received from his supervisor.
The officer will be represented by attorney Gloria Allred during a press conference Tuesday at 11 a.m. in Los Angeles.
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 17 min 26 sec ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 23 min 47 sec ago
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 27 min 18 sec ago
- Books Lambda Literary Awards: Leavitt, Bianchi, Winterson Nominated 35 min 21 sec ago
- Women 19 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Saskia de Brauw 51 min 59 sec ago
- Television Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower 53 min 11 sec ago
- Travel WATCH: Jeff Koons, John Waters Discuss Art 1 hour 5 min ago