Cheyenne Jackson "Appalled" By Tracy Morgan's Tirade
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 11 2011 3:00 PM ET
Tracy Morgan’s 30 Rock costar Cheyenne Jackson, who is gay, said today he’s “appalled” by the comedian’s homophobic tirade, and that “I want to believe” it’s not representative of his true character.
"I am disgusted and appalled by Tracy Morgan's homophobic rant," Jackson said in a statement provided to Out magazine. "The devastating repercussions of hate-filled language manifest in very real ways for today's LGBTQ youth. I've known Tracy for two years, spent many long hours with him on set, and I want to believe that this behavior is not at the core of who he is. I'm incredibly disappointed by his actions, and hope that his apology is sincere."
Morgan apologized on Friday for going "too far" during a stand-up routine in Nashville, where he joked about stabbing his son to death if he were gay, among other things.
Tina Fey, the sitcom’s creator and star, has said she found Morgan’s outburst to be “violent” and “disturbing.” In a statement, Fey went on to say that the diatribe did not "line up with the Tracy Morgan I know” and she issued a sort of warning: "I hope for his sake that Tracy's apology will be accepted as sincere by his gay and lesbian co-workers at 30 Rock, without whom Tracy would not have lines to say, clothes to wear, sets to stand on, scene partners to act with, or a printed-out paycheck from accounting to put in his pocket."
NBC management also issued a rebuke of the actor, saying his behavior wouldn’t be tolerated.
In the statement that included his apology, Morgan said, “I’m not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others.” He promised that “my friends know what is in my heart.”
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM