Cheyenne Jackson "Appalled" By Tracy Morgan's Tirade
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 11 2011 3:00 PM ET
Tracy Morgan’s 30 Rock costar Cheyenne Jackson, who is gay, said today he’s “appalled” by the comedian’s homophobic tirade, and that “I want to believe” it’s not representative of his true character.
"I am disgusted and appalled by Tracy Morgan's homophobic rant," Jackson said in a statement provided to Out magazine. "The devastating repercussions of hate-filled language manifest in very real ways for today's LGBTQ youth. I've known Tracy for two years, spent many long hours with him on set, and I want to believe that this behavior is not at the core of who he is. I'm incredibly disappointed by his actions, and hope that his apology is sincere."
Morgan apologized on Friday for going "too far" during a stand-up routine in Nashville, where he joked about stabbing his son to death if he were gay, among other things.
Tina Fey, the sitcom’s creator and star, has said she found Morgan’s outburst to be “violent” and “disturbing.” In a statement, Fey went on to say that the diatribe did not "line up with the Tracy Morgan I know” and she issued a sort of warning: "I hope for his sake that Tracy's apology will be accepted as sincere by his gay and lesbian co-workers at 30 Rock, without whom Tracy would not have lines to say, clothes to wear, sets to stand on, scene partners to act with, or a printed-out paycheck from accounting to put in his pocket."
NBC management also issued a rebuke of the actor, saying his behavior wouldn’t be tolerated.
In the statement that included his apology, Morgan said, “I’m not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others.” He promised that “my friends know what is in my heart.”
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 57 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM