’s Gay Secret Is Out
BY Brandon Voss
June 27 2011 5:55 PM ET
Teasing the new season of HBO’s True Blood, TVLine.com editor Michael Ausiello reported in a June 15 post that “a major character, heretofore heterosexual, will be involved in a same-sex romance.” The identity of said character was revealed when the fourth season premiere aired Sunday: Not only has Tara (Rutina Wesley) fled Bon Temps for New Orleans and become a cage-fighter, but she’s also sleeping with a sexy girlfriend named Naomi (Vedette Lim).
“When I first got the script, I thought it was great,” says Wesley in an interview with Entertainment Weekly. “They’ve always given me stuff that challenged me as an actor and that was fun. I think Tara — if she is going to have a love interest this season — she’s finally ready for it.”
Despite Tara’s same-sex relationship and newly explored sexual attraction to women, Wesley is hesitant to label Tara as a lesbian or bisexual. “I don’t think she was expecting it,” she says. “I think it just happened. I think it was one of those things where you just fall in love with who you fall in love with. I don’t think she labels herself as one thing or the next. She just started hanging out and the next thing you know, she was in love.”
Tara’s story arc last season dealt with her mourning the death of her boyfriend Eggs (Mehcad Brooks). “I don’t think she was in love with Eggs,” Wesley says. “Every time she was with him she was either stoned or under a spell. I don’t think that was real. I think it’s going to take her some time to realize that, but I think what she has now is a little more significant.”
“My main thing is I don’t think it’s because my character has such bad luck with men,” says Wesley in another interview, with The Hollywood Reporter. “I hope that people can understand that. Because I know people, of course, are just going to go to the ‘Oh, they’re just doing that, because she had that relationship and all of a sudden she’s gay.’ No, no, no, it’s not that. It’s just something that happened and she ended up being open to it, which I think is really cool.”
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 1 hour 21 min ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 2 hours 33 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM