Red Sox: It Gets Better
BY Michelle Garcia
July 01 2011 2:45 PM ET
After 9,000 fans and a 12-year-old boy urged the Boston Red Sox to create a video message for the It Gets Better campaign, the team released its video Friday.
The 60-second message features Red Sox manager Terry Francona, team captain Jason Varitek, and third baseman Kevin Youkilis. It also features LGBT fans and members of "Red Sox Nation" like Kristen Rosa, a Smith College student and Red Sox fan.
“Bullying is something that has touched many of our lives either personally or through someone we love,” Susan Goodenow, Red Sox senior vice president of public affairs and marketing, said in a team statement. “We are proud of dedicated Red Sox fans like 12-year-old Sam Maden who took the courageous step recently to publicly stand up against bullying of LGBT youth, and we are honored to join Sam and others throughout Red Sox Nation in support of the It Gets Better Project.”
Other Major League Baseball teams, including the San Francisco Giants and the Chicago Cubs, have also released video messages for the campaign. The Red Sox's biggest rival, the New York Yankees, have not yet posted a video.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 1 hour 49 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 2 hours 50 min ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 2 hours 50 min ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM