Red Sox: It Gets Better
BY Michelle Garcia
July 01 2011 2:45 PM ET
After 9,000 fans and a 12-year-old boy urged the Boston Red Sox to create a video message for the It Gets Better campaign, the team released its video Friday.
The 60-second message features Red Sox manager Terry Francona, team captain Jason Varitek, and third baseman Kevin Youkilis. It also features LGBT fans and members of "Red Sox Nation" like Kristen Rosa, a Smith College student and Red Sox fan.
“Bullying is something that has touched many of our lives either personally or through someone we love,” Susan Goodenow, Red Sox senior vice president of public affairs and marketing, said in a team statement. “We are proud of dedicated Red Sox fans like 12-year-old Sam Maden who took the courageous step recently to publicly stand up against bullying of LGBT youth, and we are honored to join Sam and others throughout Red Sox Nation in support of the It Gets Better Project.”
Other Major League Baseball teams, including the San Francisco Giants and the Chicago Cubs, have also released video messages for the campaign. The Red Sox's biggest rival, the New York Yankees, have not yet posted a video.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM