Teen Allegedly Threatened King; McInerney Atty. in Contempt
BY Neal Broverman
July 06 2011 6:25 PM ET
A 17-year-old former classmate of Lawrence King and Brandon McInerney testified on Wednesday that McInerney threatened to "shank" King the day before he shot him twice, February 12, 2008.
Identified only as Cristian G., the witness was described as a casual acquaintance of the murdered gay 15-year-old. Cristian said an emotionless McInerney told a group of boys that "he was going to get some guys together and rush [King] and shank him," the Los Angeles Times reported.
McInerney's defense has been describing King as a sexual aggressor who flirted with and taunted McInerney, but Cristian G., when asked by defense attorney Scott Wippert, denied that King chased after boys.
This isn't Wippert's first troublesome move: In pretrial proceedings, Judge Charles Campbell told both sides that McInerney's statements to police after the shooting were off-limits. But on Tuesday, Wippert questioned a police officer who dealt with McInerney after the shooting and asked if the teen seemed remorseful. Campbell, angered, found Wippert in contempt of court and fined him $500.
"You should know better than that," Campbell told Wippert. "I'm expecting that you are a more experienced counsel for a case like this."
Read more here.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 22 min 7 sec ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 2 hours 19 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM