Bachmann Jumps to Sign New Antigay Pledge
BY Lucas Grindley
July 08 2011 10:35 AM ET
Rep. Michele Bachmann was first in line to sign a new pledge
affirming her belief that gay men are a public health risk, that gay parents
are inferior to straight parents, and that homosexuality is a choice.
Family Leader announced Thursday that it would ask
candidates to pledge to ban same-sex marriage via a constitutional amendment and to
sign a statement backing up the list of antigay statements, and the Minnesota
congresswoman signed it on the same day.
Bachmann is contending for the lead in Iowa in many polls,
and Family Leader is a powerful force in the state. The group is run by Bob
Vander Plaats, who has compared same-sex marriage to the dangers of secondhand
smoke. He also led the successful campaign to unseat three Iowa Supreme Court
justices who legalized gay marriage in the state.
The pledge — titled “The Marriage Vow: A Declaration of
Dependence Upon Marriage and Family” — is a stringing together of myths.
For example, a footnote on “human mortality” claims nearly half of gay and
bisexual men won’t reach their 65th birthday. But the journal that
released the study, based on research conducted during the height of the
HIV/AIDS epidemic, has said in a statement
issued 10 years ago that the information is regularly taken out of context by
“homophobic groups” and “we do not condone the use of our research in a manner
that restricts the political or human rights of gay and bisexual men or any
In this case, the study and other stories make up the logic
for banning gay marriage. A spokesman for Bachmann told The Des Moines Register, “She has
been married for over 30 years and has a strong marriage and faith,” and so she
signed without hesitation.
The pledge makes a point in emphasizing each candidate’s own
marriage as an example to others.
“We acknowledge and regret the widespread hypocrisy of many
who defend marriage yet turn a blind eye toward the epidemic of infidelity and
the anemic condition of marriages in their own communities,” the pledge states.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 1 hour 20 min ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 1 hour 38 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 1 hour 45 min ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 2 hours 42 sec ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 2 hours 11 min ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 2 hours 39 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 2 hours 45 min ago