Dan Savage Wishes Death on Republicans, Apologizes
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 18 2011 6:45 PM ET
Activist Dan Savage quickly apologized for an on-camera gaffe in which he said he wishes all Congressional Republicans "were fucking dead" while appearing on HBO's Real Time With Bill Maher.
Savage, a popular advice columnist, appeared on the popular panel discussion program and when Maher compared congressional Republicans to late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, Savage quipped, "Unfortunately not exactly like him. I wish they were all fucking dead."
Savage, who is perhaps best known as creator of the It Gets Better antibullying campaign, quickly realized his error. Later on Friday he posted an apology on his blog, writing, "It was a stupid, rude, thoughtless remark. I regret it and I retract it and I apologize to anyone watching at home — particularly my father (!) — who may have heard me say it. I had a drink before the show — first and last time I’ve ever done that — but this wasn’t a case of, “In vino, veritas.”
This was a case of, “In vino, stupidtas.”
Watch the Real Time video below.
- 14 Gloriously Hilarious Rihanna Met Gala Gown Memes
- Op-ed: 5 Reasons Men's Health Needs a Trans Man On The Cover
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- Marriage Equality Could Worsen Bisexual Erasure
- Newly Out Fox Contributor Isn't Very Concerned About Gay Rights
- Out NYC Owners Call Gays 'Cheap,' 'Entitled' In Disastrous Interview