Dan Savage Wishes Death on Republicans, Apologizes
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 18 2011 5:45 PM ET
Activist Dan Savage quickly apologized for an on-camera gaffe in which he said he wishes all Congressional Republicans "were fucking dead" while appearing on HBO's Real Time With Bill Maher.
Savage, a popular advice columnist, appeared on the popular panel discussion program and when Maher compared congressional Republicans to late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, Savage quipped, "Unfortunately not exactly like him. I wish they were all fucking dead."
Savage, who is perhaps best known as creator of the It Gets Better antibullying campaign, quickly realized his error. Later on Friday he posted an apology on his blog, writing, "It was a stupid, rude, thoughtless remark. I regret it and I retract it and I apologize to anyone watching at home — particularly my father (!) — who may have heard me say it. I had a drink before the show — first and last time I’ve ever done that — but this wasn’t a case of, “In vino, veritas.”
This was a case of, “In vino, stupidtas.”
Watch the Real Time video below.
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 17 min 14 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 1 hour 16 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 1 hour 17 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 1 hour 47 min ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM