Dan Savage Wishes Death on Republicans, Apologizes
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 18 2011 6:45 PM ET
Activist Dan Savage quickly apologized for an on-camera gaffe in which he said he wishes all Congressional Republicans "were fucking dead" while appearing on HBO's Real Time With Bill Maher.
Savage, a popular advice columnist, appeared on the popular panel discussion program and when Maher compared congressional Republicans to late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, Savage quipped, "Unfortunately not exactly like him. I wish they were all fucking dead."
Savage, who is perhaps best known as creator of the It Gets Better antibullying campaign, quickly realized his error. Later on Friday he posted an apology on his blog, writing, "It was a stupid, rude, thoughtless remark. I regret it and I retract it and I apologize to anyone watching at home — particularly my father (!) — who may have heard me say it. I had a drink before the show — first and last time I’ve ever done that — but this wasn’t a case of, “In vino, veritas.”
This was a case of, “In vino, stupidtas.”
Watch the Real Time video below.
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Arkansas County Clerk Resigns Over Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Pride for Days In San Francisco
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Texas Pastor Now Says He Didn't Mean He'd Really Set Himself Aflame
- Here's How You Can Celebrate Trans Pride on Facebook, Too!