Dan Savage Wishes Death on Republicans, Apologizes
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 18 2011 6:45 PM ET
Activist Dan Savage quickly apologized for an on-camera gaffe in which he said he wishes all Congressional Republicans "were fucking dead" while appearing on HBO's Real Time With Bill Maher.
Savage, a popular advice columnist, appeared on the popular panel discussion program and when Maher compared congressional Republicans to late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, Savage quipped, "Unfortunately not exactly like him. I wish they were all fucking dead."
Savage, who is perhaps best known as creator of the It Gets Better antibullying campaign, quickly realized his error. Later on Friday he posted an apology on his blog, writing, "It was a stupid, rude, thoughtless remark. I regret it and I retract it and I apologize to anyone watching at home — particularly my father (!) — who may have heard me say it. I had a drink before the show — first and last time I’ve ever done that — but this wasn’t a case of, “In vino, veritas.”
This was a case of, “In vino, stupidtas.”
Watch the Real Time video below.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 19 min 21 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 48 min 49 sec ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 1 hour 40 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM