The Don't-Miss Moments From the DOMA Hearing
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 21 2011 1:50 PM ET
Ron Wallen, who testified about losing his house in Indio, Calif., after the death of his husband because he has no access to Social Security survivor benefits:
"The survivor’s benefit would have done for me what it does for every other surviving spouse in America — ease the pain of the loss, help during a very difficult transition, and allow time to make decisions and plan for my future alone. It is devastating to know that any married couple in the U.S. regardless of how long they were married, can depend on the survivor’s benefit. Yet, I could not — after 58 years with my spouse — simply because we were two married men. This is unfair and unjust."
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- QUIZ: Are You Afraid of Gay PDA?
- 7 Absurd Legal 'Arguments' Against Marriage Equality From a Straight Couple in Kansas
- WATCH: Gays Want Everyone to Join Them in Hell, Says Colo. GOP Candidate
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women