The Don't-Miss Moments From the DOMA Hearing
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 21 2011 12:50 PM ET
Ron Wallen, who testified about losing his house in Indio, Calif., after the death of his husband because he has no access to Social Security survivor benefits:
"The survivor’s benefit would have done for me what it does for every other surviving spouse in America — ease the pain of the loss, help during a very difficult transition, and allow time to make decisions and plan for my future alone. It is devastating to know that any married couple in the U.S. regardless of how long they were married, can depend on the survivor’s benefit. Yet, I could not — after 58 years with my spouse — simply because we were two married men. This is unfair and unjust."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View