The Don't-Miss Moments From the DOMA Hearing
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 21 2011 12:50 PM ET
Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign:
"DOMA does not just harm gay and lesbian couples. It hurts all of those who share in their day-to-day struggles under this discriminatory law. First and foremost, it hurts the children of same-sex couples, who suffer from financial instability created for their parents by DOMA’s discrimination. But this discriminatory law burdens other children as well, namely LGBT youth, who see the federal government continue to formally disrespect and discriminate against their community. DOMA tells them, in no uncertain terms, that they cannot be full and equal citizens of their country."
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Is the 'Not Gay No More' Guy for Real?
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Hagel's Exit Leaves Unfinished Business For LGBT Military Members, Advocates