Gay Puppets to Wed in NYC Sunday
BY Winston Gieseke
July 21 2011 6:25 PM ET
Producers of the Tony Award-winning musical Avenue Q have announced that Rod and Ricky, the gay male puppets who have fallen for each other onstage 3,267 times since the show’s opening in 2003, will line up at New York’s City Hall July 24 to make their union legal.
Playbill reports that after taking their vows, the couple, who have released their engagement photo to the media, will “race back to the theatre district for the 3 p.m. matinee performance of Avenue Q at New World Stages.”
“To have this finally happen for us — especially so soon after Will and Kate — is unbelievable to me,” Rod said in a statement. “I realize there are a lot of broken hearts out there now that Ricky and I are off the market — step back, all you chorus boys! — but I’ve known since day one that Ricky is the husband for me. He’s the furry fellow I want to spend my life with both on and off the stage.”
Read more here.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- Trayvon Martin Killer George Zimmerman Proves He's a Racist Homophobe
- TBT: Mid-Century Dreamboats
- WATCH: Donald Trump Still Can't Explain His Marriage Equality Opposition
- Why This Latina Photographer Documented the Moment She Came Out to Her Parents