Bradlee Dean's Ample Antigay Comments
July 28 2011 10:45 AM ET
The Minnesota preacher who filed a $50 million defamation lawsuit Wednesday against MSNBC's Rachel Maddow and Minnesota Independent reporter Andy Birkey has a long track record of broadcasting antigay comments, ThinkProgress LGBT's Zack Ford writes.
You Can Run But You Cannot Hide International's Bradlee Dean claims that Maddow and Birkey maliciously took some of his comments out of context while ignoring a ministry disclaimer condemning calls to execute gay people — this to achieve both journalists’ end goal, according to the complaint, of “significantly [harming] the ‘big political prize’ which they loathe, Christian conservative presidential candidate Michele Bachmann,” who has “twice lent her name to [the ministry's] fundraising efforts.”
But Ford posted an extensive history of Dean’s support for prosecution and incarceration of gay people as well as assertions that a “homosexual agenda” is infiltrating the Anoka-Hennepin School District in Minnesota.
The district has been sued by the National Center for Lesbian Rights and the Southern Poverty Law Center on behalf of students who allege that they have been harassed because of their sexual orientation; Anoka-Hennepin has a policy instructing teachers to be “neutral” on sexual orientation issues, one that attorneys for the students have called “blatantly discriminatory and unconstitutional.”
Ford notes that Dean had been scheduled to appear on Michelangelo Signorile’s Sirius XM show Wednesday afternoon but canceled his appearance, claiming he was “overwhelmed” by interview requests.
Dean’s complaint against Maddow, Birkey, and their respective media organizations, is available here.
Dean is represented in the suit by Larry Klayman, a Washington, D.C.–based attorney and founder of Judicial Watch and Freedom Watch.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 1 hour 53 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM