Going to the (Pop Up) Chapel
BY Michelle Garcia
July 31 2011 3:20 PM ET
Twenty-four couples are slated to marry in a pop-up chapel located in New York City's Central Park on Sunday.
Dese'rae L. Stage and Katie Marks were already planning a wedding in Boston, when the news came that New York may pass a marriage law of its own. They decided to get married in their home state first, before heading north for a bigger ceremony.
"We've picked our closest local friends and a couple of friends are coming from Miami to see the ceremony," Stage told the Village Voice. "And we're still doing Boston next year, so our parents can come. It was kind of one of those things, to be a part of history…"
One of the Pop Up Chapel's designs resemble a Hershey's Kiss, while the other is a rainbow array of ribbons, designed by New York firms Z-A Studio and ICRAVE. One ceremony in the chapels include an officiant, photographer, champagne, and cupcakes.
See some of the happy couples in the following pages.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 56 min 34 sec ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 2 hours 53 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM