Transgender Housekeeper Fired After Background Check
BY Michelle Garcia
July 31 2011 1:30 PM ET
A housekeeper filed a lawsuit Thursday claiming that a couple who once employed her abruptly fired her when they discovered that she is transgender, Reuters reports.
When Anastacia St. Claire-Hannah officially started working at the Park Avenue apartment on March 9 after a two-week trial period, Carline Dean indicated that she was "very impressed" with the housekeeper's work. However, after the couple found out her transgender status through a background check, Thompson Dean started calling the housekeeper "disgusting" and "a freak." The couple allegedly barred her from preparing their meals, and told her that she need a psychologist. Three days later, St. Claire-Hannah was fired because they said it would look bad for Thompson Dean's image and business.
St. Claire-Hannah has several years of housekeeping and chef experience, according to her attorney, David Fish. The suit was filed in the New York state supreme court.
- TV: Several LGBT Characters Missing Next Season
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- Protests Continue But Opponents in France Get Final Loss
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- Hot Sheet: Super Duper Star Zack
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM