Transgender Housekeeper Fired After Background Check
BY Michelle Garcia
July 31 2011 12:30 PM ET
A housekeeper filed a lawsuit Thursday claiming that a couple who once employed her abruptly fired her when they discovered that she is transgender, Reuters reports.
When Anastacia St. Claire-Hannah officially started working at the Park Avenue apartment on March 9 after a two-week trial period, Carline Dean indicated that she was "very impressed" with the housekeeper's work. However, after the couple found out her transgender status through a background check, Thompson Dean started calling the housekeeper "disgusting" and "a freak." The couple allegedly barred her from preparing their meals, and told her that she need a psychologist. Three days later, St. Claire-Hannah was fired because they said it would look bad for Thompson Dean's image and business.
St. Claire-Hannah has several years of housekeeping and chef experience, according to her attorney, David Fish. The suit was filed in the New York state supreme court.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM