Lucille Ball Found Gay Rights "Perfectly All Right"
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 06 2011 10:00 PM ET
There have been a multitude of tributes this week remembering comedy icon Lucille Ball who was born 100 years ago today, but a vintage interview with People magazine reveals the late entertainer was in favor of gay rights.
In a candid interview from 1980, Ball was asked her thoughts on a number of subjects, including gay rights. "It's perfectly all right with me," she replied. "Some of the most gifted people I've ever met or read about are homosexual. How can you knock it?"
As an entertainer, Ball obviously had many gay coworkers and friends. In 2001, one of her gay friends, Lee Tannen, wrote a book about his relationship with her. In it he recalls a mutual friend telling Ball how gay men adored her and how her curiosity was piqued when she heard about a gay bar in West Hollywood that played marathons of I Love Lucy episodes.
Tannen later told Out magazine, "Lucy Ricardo was the true gay icon, as "Lucy Ricardo was the underdog who was always trying to prove herself, and I think many gay men can identify with that."
He went on to say that "Ricardo was the perfect gay icon for the post-Stonewall generation. She wasn't a tragic victim like Judy Garland."
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM