Diana Nyad’s Cuba-to-Florida Swim Attempt Under Way
August 08 2011 7:40 AM ET
International Swimming Hall of Fame legend Diana Nyad’s attempt to complete a 103-mile swim from Havana to Key West without the aid of a shark cage is currently under way, CNN reports.
Nyad, 61, entered the water at Havana’s Marina Hemingway just before sunset on Saturday after she performed the Army wake-up tune “Reveille” on a bugle.
A CNN crew is following Nyad in the support boats: Updates on her swim progress can be found on The Chart blog and via Twitter from CNN’s Matt Sloane (@MattCNN).
"I'm almost 62 years old and I'm standing here at the prime of my life," Nyad told reporters prior to the swim. "I think this is the prime. When one reaches this age, you still have a body that's strong but now you have a better mind.”
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Politics WATCH: Abortionists, Married Gays Leading 'War on Christmas,' 16 min 58 sec ago
- World News Israel's President, Shimon Peres, Backs Same-Sex Marriage 17 min 57 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: Davey Wavey Does Acceptance One Better 44 min 46 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Charged with Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 7 min ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 2 hours 8 min ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 2 hours 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 11:29 AM