Diana Nyad’s Cuba-to-Florida Swim Attempt Under Way
August 08 2011 8:40 AM ET
International Swimming Hall of Fame legend Diana Nyad’s attempt to complete a 103-mile swim from Havana to Key West without the aid of a shark cage is currently under way, CNN reports.
Nyad, 61, entered the water at Havana’s Marina Hemingway just before sunset on Saturday after she performed the Army wake-up tune “Reveille” on a bugle.
A CNN crew is following Nyad in the support boats: Updates on her swim progress can be found on The Chart blog and via Twitter from CNN’s Matt Sloane (@MattCNN).
"I'm almost 62 years old and I'm standing here at the prime of my life," Nyad told reporters prior to the swim. "I think this is the prime. When one reaches this age, you still have a body that's strong but now you have a better mind.”
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years
- George Takei Takes on Clarence Thomas and Donald Trump (and Wins!)
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Will Marriage Equality Cause a Spike in Homeless LGBT Youth?
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Why Is the Duggar Family Paying the Cops Investigating Them?