Diana Nyad’s Cuba-to-Florida Swim Attempt Under Way
August 08 2011 8:40 AM ET
International Swimming Hall of Fame legend Diana Nyad’s attempt to complete a 103-mile swim from Havana to Key West without the aid of a shark cage is currently under way, CNN reports.
Nyad, 61, entered the water at Havana’s Marina Hemingway just before sunset on Saturday after she performed the Army wake-up tune “Reveille” on a bugle.
A CNN crew is following Nyad in the support boats: Updates on her swim progress can be found on The Chart blog and via Twitter from CNN’s Matt Sloane (@MattCNN).
"I'm almost 62 years old and I'm standing here at the prime of my life," Nyad told reporters prior to the swim. "I think this is the prime. When one reaches this age, you still have a body that's strong but now you have a better mind.”
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Tim Cook on Standing Up to Discrimination: 'It’s Time for All of Us'
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Jamie Foxx Called Out for Crossing Line on Bruce Jenner Jokes