Diana Nyad’s Cuba-to-Florida Swim Attempt Under Way
August 08 2011 8:40 AM ET
International Swimming Hall of Fame legend Diana Nyad’s attempt to complete a 103-mile swim from Havana to Key West without the aid of a shark cage is currently under way, CNN reports.
Nyad, 61, entered the water at Havana’s Marina Hemingway just before sunset on Saturday after she performed the Army wake-up tune “Reveille” on a bugle.
A CNN crew is following Nyad in the support boats: Updates on her swim progress can be found on The Chart blog and via Twitter from CNN’s Matt Sloane (@MattCNN).
"I'm almost 62 years old and I'm standing here at the prime of my life," Nyad told reporters prior to the swim. "I think this is the prime. When one reaches this age, you still have a body that's strong but now you have a better mind.”
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 2 hours 42 min ago
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM