Mass. Gov: It Gets Better
BY Trudy Ring
August 08 2011 7:25 PM ET
Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick, a longtime gay rights supporter and father of a lesbian daughter, has released a video for the It Gets Better Project, which aims to provide messages of hope to young people enduring anti-LGBT bullying.
Patrick does not mention his daughter in the video, but he assures viewers that as the state’s first black governor, “I know what it’s like to be different.” He also says that he knows what it’s like to feel surrounded by people who don’t understand, but he reminds the audience that there are also people who will understand, support, and encourage them.
The governor’s gay-supportive actions include a comprehensive antibullying bill he signed into law last year. He is also a supporter of marriage equality, and this year he issued an executive order banning discrimination against state employees on the basis of gender identity.
Watch the video here.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 9 min 31 sec ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 45 min 16 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 1 hour 52 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 1 hour 59 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 2 hours 2 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM