Mass. Gov: It Gets Better
BY Trudy Ring
August 08 2011 7:25 PM ET
Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick, a longtime gay rights supporter and father of a lesbian daughter, has released a video for the It Gets Better Project, which aims to provide messages of hope to young people enduring anti-LGBT bullying.
Patrick does not mention his daughter in the video, but he assures viewers that as the state’s first black governor, “I know what it’s like to be different.” He also says that he knows what it’s like to feel surrounded by people who don’t understand, but he reminds the audience that there are also people who will understand, support, and encourage them.
The governor’s gay-supportive actions include a comprehensive antibullying bill he signed into law last year. He is also a supporter of marriage equality, and this year he issued an executive order banning discrimination against state employees on the basis of gender identity.
Watch the video here.
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 53 min 54 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 1 59 min 14 sec ago
- Television Juliet Mills: Back to Nannying, With a Twist 1 hour 22 min ago
- Commentary What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto 2 hours 6 min ago
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 7:00 AM
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM