Mass. Gov: It Gets Better
BY Trudy Ring
August 08 2011 6:25 PM ET
Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick, a longtime gay rights supporter and father of a lesbian daughter, has released a video for the It Gets Better Project, which aims to provide messages of hope to young people enduring anti-LGBT bullying.
Patrick does not mention his daughter in the video, but he assures viewers that as the state’s first black governor, “I know what it’s like to be different.” He also says that he knows what it’s like to feel surrounded by people who don’t understand, but he reminds the audience that there are also people who will understand, support, and encourage them.
The governor’s gay-supportive actions include a comprehensive antibullying bill he signed into law last year. He is also a supporter of marriage equality, and this year he issued an executive order banning discrimination against state employees on the basis of gender identity.
Watch the video here.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 15 min 24 sec ago
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 1 hour 11 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 1 hour 57 min ago
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 2 hours 25 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 2 hours 30 min ago
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 3:57 PM