Adam Levine Critiques for Hiding Gay Life
BY Lucas Grindley
August 15 2011 5:40 PM ET
At least part of what singer Adam Levine says appeals to fans of Maroon 5 is the illusion that he could be gay.
“There’s no way to hide my straightness,” he told Out magazine, “but if people didn’t think there was a small chance I was gay, then I wouldn’t be doing my job very well. Look at the best ones, guys whose sexuality was always questioned. Bowie. Jagger. Freddie Mercury. I wouldn’t be the front man of a band if that question hadn’t come up at some point.”
The country is also getting to know the pop star as a judge on The Voice, a singing contest that's looking for the next big star. Levine helped propel several gay candidates to the final round. But singers shouldn't need to hide being gay to get a recording contract, he argues pointedly while on the subject of American Idol.
“What’s always pissed me off about Idol is wanting to mask that, for that to go unspoken," Levine said in the interview. "C’mon. You can’t be publicly gay? At this point? On a singing competition? Give me a break. You can’t hide basic components of these people’s lives. The fact that The Voice didn’t have any qualms about being completely open about it is a great thing.”
In the interview, Levine is just as open about his own life. He talks about growing up in a liberal Los Angeles home, with parents who went to Berkeley, and how his younger brother, who is gay, helped shape his perspective.
“I can singlehandedly dispel any ideas that sexuality is acquired,” he said, laughing. “Trust me, you’re born with it. My brother is gay, and we knew when he was 2. We all knew.”
Don't miss the Out magazine photo shoot with Levine and read the complete interview, in which he also supports marriage equality.
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- Hot Sheet: Super Duper Star Zack
- Protests Continue But Opponents in France Get Final Loss
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- Puerto Rico Senate Approves Sweeping Antidiscrimination Bill
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM