Doris Day's Musical Comeback
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 16 2011 5:05 PM ET
Legendary entertainer Doris Day could be making a long-awaited return to the spotlight with the upcoming release of her first album in 17 years, reports U.K. newspaper The Daily Mail.
The album is called My Heart and contains previously unreleased recordings that were produced by Day's son, Terry Melcher, who died in 2004. Six of the songs in the collection, including covers of tunes written by the Beach Boys and Joe Cocker, were recorded in the mid 1980s, while others are from Day's television specials. In a statement, Day says of the album, "I had to sing some modern songs because I had already done all the old ones."
The dozen-song compilation will be released for the first time in the U.K. on CD September 5. Fans are encouraged to support its release now by placing an advance order for the album via Amazon.co.uk. There are as of yet no plans for an American release.
In a survey of the top box office stars of all time, Day placed at number 6, making her the top-ranking female. She received an Academy Award nomination as Best Actress for 1959's Pillow Talk, in which she costarred with close friend Rock Hudson. Day has also been a top-selling recording artist since the 1940s. "Secret Love," a song she recorded for the 1953 musical Calamity Jane, won an Academy Award for Best Song and was quickly adopted as an early gay and lesbian anthem.
The 87-year-old Day left the entertainment industry more than 30 years ago to found the Doris Day Animal Foundation in 1978. In 1985 she briefly hosted a series Doris Day's Best Friends, which featured the last public appearance by Rock Hudson. Day currently lives a quiet life in Carmel, Calif., where she co-owns the Cypress Inn, a pet-friendly hotel.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM