Dustin Lance Black's Prop. 8 Play Attracts All-Star Cast
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 17 2011 4:50 PM ET
A benefit staged reading of 8, Dustin Lance Black's play about California's Prop. 8 trial, has attracted an illustrious all-star cast that includes Cheyenne Jackson, Marisa Tomei, Morgan Freeman, Rob Reiner, Christine Lahti, and Anthony Edwards.
A press release for the event describes the play as "an unprecedented account of the Federal District Court trial of Perry v. Schwarzenegger, the case filed by American Foundation for Equal Rights to overturn Proposition 8, which eliminated the right to marry for gay and lesbian couples in California.” Black, who won an Academy Award for his acclaimed Milk screenplay, used the actual words of the trial transcripts,
firsthand observations of the courtroom drama, and interviews with the
plaintiffs and their families for the script.
The one-night-only reading will be directed by Tony Award–winning actor and director Joe Mantello and take place at the Eugene O'Neill Theater in New York City September 19 at 8 p.m. Proceeds will go directly to the foundation. For tickets or more information, visit AFER.org.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM