NOM to Cain: Sign Marriage Pledge
BY Trudy Ring
August 20 2011 2:15 PM ET
Republican presidential hopeful Herman Cain calls President Obama’s decision to no longer defend the antigay Defense of Marriage Act an “impeachable offense” — but the National Organization for Marriage wants to know, if he feels that way, why won’t he sign its anti–marriage equality pledge?
Cain made the statement in a recent conference call with reporters, according to On Top Magazine. He said Obama’s directive to the Department of Justice not to defend DOMA in court “is a breach of his oath” and “an impeachable offense right there,” but impeachment proceedings will not get off the ground because Democrats control the U.S. Senate.
NOM chairman Maggie Gallagher, however, says Cain needs to back his words with actions. “We need someone who does not just talk the talk, but walks the walk on marriage,” she said in a press release posted Friday on the group’s website. She noted that NOM has asked all Republican presidential aspirants to sign NOM’s five-point marriage pledge, which among other things includes support for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to ban same-sex marriage and asks for the District of Columbia’s marriage equality law to be put to a popular vote.
Michele Bachmann, Rick Santorum, and Mitt Romney have signed the pledge. “Why hasn't Herman Cain?” Gallagher. “President Obama claimed he supported traditional marriage but then failed to follow through. If Herman Cain wants to distinguish his position from President Obama, he should commit to concrete actions, not just rhetoric in support of marriage.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM