LGBT Students in Luck: Numbers Up for Gay-Friendly Colleges
BY Andi Alexander
August 25 2011 1:00 PM ET
A recent survey shows a growing number of American colleges and universities are trying to make their campuses as LGBT-friendly as possible.
Campus Pride's 2011 LGBT-Friendly Campus Climate Index has given 33 schools from around the nation its highest rating this year, nearly double the number of schools from last year.
The Campus Climate Index is an index of nearly 300 schools that, based on their answers to a detailed, voluntary questionnaire, receive ratings from one to five stars from Campus Pride — a national nonprofit seeking safer higher education environments for LGBT students — on LGBT-friendly policies, programs, and practices. The questionnaire has eight categories: policy inclusion, support and institutional commitment, academic life, student life, housing, campus safety, counseling and health, and recruitment and retention efforts.
The following colleges and universities scored five-star ratings this year: American University; Amherst College; Carleton College; Dartmouth College; Emory University; Humboldt State University; Indiana University; Ithaca College; Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Oberlin College; Ohio State University; Oregon State University; Pennsylvania State University; Princeton University; San Diego State University; Southern Oregon University; Stanford University; Syracuse University; University of California, Berekeley; University of California, Los Angeles; University of California, Riverside; University of California, Santa Barbara; University of California, Santa Cruz; University of Maine, Farmington; University of Massachusetts, Amherst; University of Michigan; University of Oregon; University of Pennsylvania; University of Southern California; University of Vermont; University of Washington; Washington University in St. Louis; and Whitman College.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 28 min 24 sec ago
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 38 min 57 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 57 min 31 sec ago
- Books Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography 1 hour 14 min ago
- World News Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women Toni Braxton's Dream Role Is to Play Lesbian on Orange Is the New Black 1 hour 17 min ago
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 1 hour 47 min ago