New Jersey School Bans Book With Lesbian, Gay Scenes
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 25 2011 4:30 PM ET
Turns out high school students in one New Jersey district won’t be reading Norwegian Wood this fall. Japanese author Haruki Murakami's celebrated novel about Tokyo college life in the 1960s was banned by the Monroe Township Schools in Williamstown after a public outcry over its supposed inappropriateness.
According to Fox News, school administrators apologized to parents for having initially required sophomores to read Wood, which reportedly contains a lesbian scene, in their English class.
“Some of the language is inappropriate,” said Chuck Earling, superintendent of Monroe Township Schools. “We were not trying to create controversy. We were just trying to get students to read.”
Also taken off the book list: Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines, Nic Sheff’s young adult memoir that often serves as a companion to his father David’s memoir, Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Meth Addiction. Parents wanted the schools to ban Sheff’s book because it reportedly includes “depictions of drug usage and a homosexual orgy.”
Peter Sprigg of the antigay Family Research Council told Fox News Radio the hysteria over the books was warranted.
“Here we see the intersection of parental values being offended, the hypersexualization of our youth and the homosexual agenda being pushed,” Sprigg said. “This just illustrates why a lot of American parents are not willing to entrust their children to the public schools anymore.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 46 min 31 sec ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 1 hour 8 min ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 1 hour 20 min ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 1 hour 32 min ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 1 hour 48 min ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 52 min ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 1 hour 57 min ago