Ad in Gays Are Putrid
BY Neal Broverman
August 29 2011 2:35 PM ET
The main newspaper in El Paso, Texas, published a full-page ad Saturday from a right-wing priest who calls gays "immoral,""putrid," and "depraved."
The paid advertisement in the El Paso Times, titled "True Pastoral Care for Homosexuals," is from Friar Michael Rodriguez of El Paso's San Juan Bautista Catholic Church. The virulently antigay and antichoice Rodriguez first writes about showing compassion for gay people before explaining how gays are destructive sinners.
"Engaging in depraved and unnatural sexual acts will lead directly to the ruin of both the homosexual's body and soul," Rodriguez writes. "Our very anatomy cries out against the lie that homosexual acts are 'ok.'"
Rodriguez closes his screed by saying we live in a "godless society" that condones homosexuality.
"Reflect, first there are (a) individuals committing mortal sins of a homosexual nature; next, evil extends its tentacles to (b) society as a whole accepting homosexual and homosexual activity as 'normal"; and finally, iniquity's victory is all but sealed when (c) laws are enacted which impose the putrid homosexual ideology on everyone, while those who, rightfully resist it, are ridiculed, attacked, and persecuted," Rodriguez writes.
The ad claims that the statements don't reflect the views of the El Paso Times, a newspaper that reaches more than 108,000 people daily. A phone message was left with the newspaper regarding the publication's advertising policies, but as of late Monday the call was not returned.
See the full ad here on page A05. *The full-page view of the ad has now been taken down.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 2 hours 30 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM