Cher Defends Chaz Against Transphobes
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 31 2011 8:30 PM ET
In a series of messages sent via Twitter, Cher defends her son Chaz Bono's decision to do Dancing With the Stars against transphobic commenters and says the majority of viewers will love him.
Bono's casting in season 13 of the ABC competition series has drawn numerous complaints from some of the show's more conservative viewers, who have targeted him for being transgender.
In the first tweet, Cher writes, "lovelies! Chaz is Being Viciously Attacked on Blogs & Message boards about being on DWTS!This is Still America right ? It took guts 2 do it."
She followed with, "I support him no matter what he chooses 2do! God! will there always be haters! It took COURAGE 2 do dwts ! TG Chaz has an Unlimited supply."
Then came, "Can u guys check out sites & give him your support ? BTW ...Mothers don't stop Getting angry with stupid bigots who fk with their children!"
Finally, she tweeted, "bet VAST MAJORITY of People will LOVE CHAZ on DWTS ! & it's took Fkg Guts 2! Chaz isn't exactly the "Gotta Dance Gotta Dance" kinda Guy."
Read our exclusive interview with Bono tomorrow.
- BREAKING: Kentucky Clerk Defies Supreme Court, Denies Same-Sex Couples Marriage Licenses
- Why Are We Gay?
- 14 Ex-Ex Gays Paving the Way Forward
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- WATCH: That Other Defiant Kentucky Clerk Named Davis Invokes 'Higher Power'
- Freeheld: Love In the Time of Cancer