Cher Defends Chaz Against Transphobes
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 31 2011 8:30 PM ET
In a series of messages sent via Twitter, Cher defends her son Chaz Bono's decision to do Dancing With the Stars against transphobic commenters and says the majority of viewers will love him.
Bono's casting in season 13 of the ABC competition series has drawn numerous complaints from some of the show's more conservative viewers, who have targeted him for being transgender.
In the first tweet, Cher writes, "lovelies! Chaz is Being Viciously Attacked on Blogs & Message boards about being on DWTS!This is Still America right ? It took guts 2 do it."
She followed with, "I support him no matter what he chooses 2do! God! will there always be haters! It took COURAGE 2 do dwts ! TG Chaz has an Unlimited supply."
Then came, "Can u guys check out sites & give him your support ? BTW ...Mothers don't stop Getting angry with stupid bigots who fk with their children!"
Finally, she tweeted, "bet VAST MAJORITY of People will LOVE CHAZ on DWTS ! & it's took Fkg Guts 2! Chaz isn't exactly the "Gotta Dance Gotta Dance" kinda Guy."
Read our exclusive interview with Bono tomorrow.
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message
- Every GOP 2016 Hopeful Backs Mike Pence
- Op-ed: Angelina Jolie's Choice Bolsters the Trans Argument