Oscar De La Hoya Admits Drag Photos Are Real and He Contemplated Suicide Over Them
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 02 2011 11:40 AM ET
Boxing superstar Oscar De La Hoya has finally admitted he posed in a wig, high heels, and ladies' lingerie for photos he previously claimed were altered and paid $20 million to cover up, according to a Spanish-language interview with Univision.
When the photos with model Milana Dravnel first leaked in 2007, the world-famous boxer, often dubbed "the golden boy," originally claimed they had been altered to include his likeness, but now says he posed for them while high on alcohol and cocaine, reports the New York Post. De La Hoya, who has been sober since May, finally admitted the truth Tuesday, saying he contemplated suicide at the time.
"Let me tell you, yes, yes, it was me [in those pictures]," he now says. "I am tired now of lying, of lying to the public and of lying to myself."
In 2007, De La Hoya attempted to discredit Dravnel's photos, so she filed a federal lawsuit against him, claiming that the boxer's representatives deceived her into agreeing that the photos were manipulated.
They eventually settled the lawsuit out of court with a confidentiality agreement.
But, according to the Post, "courthouse sources confirmed Wednesday that De La Hoya paid $20 million to buy her silence. The deal also called for her to give back the heels, lingerie, and fishnets that she kept after their kinky photo session."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM