Trans Singer Rocks Oz
BY Neal Broverman
September 02 2011 2:30 PM ET
Paige Elliot Phoenix, a 35-year-old transgender man, recently won over the judges on Australia's X Factor reality show.
Phoenix told the three judges, who include former Spice Girl Melanie Brown, about his transition before launching into a rendition of INXS's "Never Tear Us Apart." All three judges lauded Phoenix's performance and voted to bring him back for the show's "boot camp." The singer was then shown Skyping the good news to his girlfriend in San Francisco.
Watch the clip below.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf