Gay Couples in Almost Every U.S. County
BY Trudy Ring
September 06 2011 8:25 PM ET
It’s official: We truly are everywhere. There are 901,997 same-sex couples in the United States, and they are represented in 99% of U.S. counties, according to an analysis of 2010 U.S. Census data by the Williams Institute.
The institute, a think tank based at the University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, also reports that 60% of the couples are female, 40% male, and that 22% of all couples are raising children.
“Child-rearing among same-sex couples is most common in the Deep South and Mountain West regions,” Williams Institute demographer Gary Gates said in a press release. “In these socially conservative areas, LGBT people likely come out later in life and are more likely to have a child from a relationship with a different-sex partner when they were younger.”
Among large cities — population of more than 250,000 — the five the with the highest proportion of same-sex couples were, in order from number 1, San Francisco; Seattle; Oakland, Calif.; Minneapolis; and Atlanta. Among mid-size cities — population 100,000 — the greatest concentration of gay couples was in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Berkeley, Calif.; Salt Lake City; Cambridge, Mass.; and Orlando, Fla. Among cities with fewer than 100,000 residents, the top five were Provincetown, Mass.; Wilton Manors, Fla.; Palm Springs, Calif.; Rehoboth Beach, Del.; and Guerneville, Calif.
Find more information via a downloadable PDF here.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 47 min 55 sec ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 1 hour 1 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM