Murders Put Focus on Same-Sex Domestic Abuse
BY Julie Bolcer
September 06 2011 9:00 AM ET
A spike in the number of same-sex partners killed in domestic violence episodes in Massachusetts draws attention to the inadequate response of law enforcement to the problem.
The Boston Globe reports on seven killings of same-sex partners since 2010, a sharp increase from one to three such murders in previous years. Advocates report that law enforcement officials and the court system fail to recognize, understand, and address the problem of same-sex domestic abuse, with fatal consequences for victims.
“Advocates say there is a deep resistance from some police departments to learn more about the issue,” according to the Globe. “They report dropping off brochures about services for victims only to have officers scoff or discard them. A few years ago, officers from one department in the state walked out of a workshop on helping gay domestic violence victims, said Curt Rogers, executive director of the Gay Men’s Domestic Violence Project in Cambridge.”
The Globe continued, “There are regular reports of both victim and batterer receiving restraining orders to stay away from each other because a judge was unable to identify the abuser. For the same reason, victims have been arrested along with their abusers after police received a report of an assault.”
While advocates acknowledge the increase in murders could be the result of more reporting and not a jump in violence, they view the tragedies as an opportunity to call for more attention from and specialized training for law enforcement agencies.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 1 hour 24 min ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 2 hours 24 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM