Would Antidiscrimination Law Matter? Gay Republican Says No
BY Lucas Grindley
September 13 2011 7:00 PM ET
Republicans who are gay often make the same argument that one local Log Cabin Republican president did during Michelangelo Signorile's radio show before being backed into a corner, where he suddenly found himself defending discrimination against black people.
"What I do when I evaluate a candidate, I look at what's feasible," said Robert Schlein, president of the group's Dallas chapter.
And so Schlein argued that no matter what Republican presidential candidates say, they won't amend to the Constitution to ban same-sex marriage because it would be too hard. Asked about his own governor — Rick Perry — signing a pledge from the National Organization for Marriage, Schlein dismissed it as just another case of "placating" social conservatives.
Then Schlein took his argument that Republicans are harmless on gay rights to the next level by claiming the party is better on issues where, he says, change might actually be feasible — such as on national security, Social Security, and the economy.
"What good are rights if you don't have a job?" asked Schlein.
When radio host Signorile, who is an Advocate contributor, pointed out that LGBT people aren't protected from workplace discrimination and could easily lose any job, Schlein said antidiscrimination laws don't matter either.
"Texas is a right-to-work state. So as an employer, which I am, I can fire anybody at will," he claimed.
"You cannot fire somebody for being African-American," Signorile objected.
"Well, I wouldn’t tell them," Schlein said.
"You wouldn’t tell them, but you’d do it anyway?" Signorile asked.
"I’d find a reason if I wanted to fire them," Schlein said, defending discrimination against black people while trying to prove an antidiscrimination law would make no difference to LGBT people.
The debate is making the rounds on the Web. Listen below.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM