Navy Wedding Celebrates DADT Repeal
BY Michelle Garcia
September 20 2011 3:10 PM ET
At the stroke of midnight, a Navy officer married his partner of 11 years, while simultaneously celebrating the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell."
Tucson, Ariz., couple Lt. Gary Ross, 33, and Dan Swezy, 49, were wed in a small ceremony in Duxbury, Vt. The ceremony began at 11:45, and Justice of the Peace Greg Trulson proclaimed the marriage exactly at midnight on Tuesday, the Associated Press reports.
Though the 17-year-old law has been officially repealed, the Department of Defense has not signified that it will recognize the marriages or partnerships of gay and lesbian soldiers, due to the Defense of Marriage Act. Officials are also still evaluating whether chaplains will be allowed to conduct weddings for same-sex couples on military bases.
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Today's Tearjerker Featuring Binational Couple With 'Missing Husband'
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
- Op-ed: To You There, in the Closet
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM