YouTube's Gay Airman Feels Support from Unit, Family
BY Michelle Garcia
September 21 2011 1:50 PM ET
Private 1st class Randy Phillips, the 21-year-old airman stationed at Ramstein Air Force Base in Germany came out to his father and the world on the first day that "don't ask, don't tell" was repealed, said everyone around him has been supportive so far.
"It feels great. It's nice not having to look over your shoulder, or worry about who you are talking to," Phillips told ABC News this morning. "I think everybody knows. I never thought I'd be so comfortable with it. It's very supportive. Everybody's been absolutely great."
Phillips, who has become a YouTube sensation, was posting faceless videos of himself for the last few months in which he talked about being a closeted gay man and in the Air Force.
Watch the report below:
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins June 18 2013 5:44 PM