GOP Debate Viewers Jeer Gay Soldier
BY Michelle Garcia
September 22 2011 11:20 PM ET
During one of the few Republican debates to address gay rights, a soldier posted a YouTube question for former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum about "don't ask, don't tell," which resulted in the soldier being booed by the Orlando, Fla., crowd.
Stephen Hill, who was deployed to Iraq in 2010, said he was initially forced "to lie about who he was" out of fear that he could be discharged due to the military's now-eradicated ban on openly gay service members.
He asked the panel of nine GOP presidential hopefuls, "Under one of your presidencies, do you intent do circumvent the progress that's been made for gay and lesbian soldiers in the military?"
Immediately after the question was asked, the crowd reacted with booing toward the soldier. Moderator Megyn Kelly posed the question directly to Santorum, who said he would repeal the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" if elected and that sex has no place in the ranks.
"What we're doing is playing social experimentation with our military right now, and that's tragic," he said.
The repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" officially took place Tuesday after 17 years of restricting gay, lesbian, and bisexual service members from serving openly. The policy also prevented military personnel from admitting the existence of any same-sex relationships, as that information could have been used as evidence to discharge gay troops. Even now after repeal, out soldiers with partners, spouses, or children face a host of legal and policy-based red tape for benefits that heterosexual troops can use, like shared medical benefits, housing, and travel clearances.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 11 min 53 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 53 min 19 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 58 min 29 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 16 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 55 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM