Canadian Ad Warns Against Trans "Confusion"
BY Trudy Ring
September 29 2011 8:45 PM ET
A right-wing Canadian group has placed an ad in the National Post alleging the LGBT-inclusive curriculum in Toronto schools will “confuse” children about their gender identity.
The full-page ad, which ran yesterday, shows a photo of a young girl and includes the text, “Please! Don’t confuse me. I’m a girl. Don’t teach me to question if I’m a boy, transsexual, transgendered, intersexed, or two spirited.” It also features various quotes from materials given to teachers in Toronto schools, for instance advising them to have students write “gender-bending” versions of traditional fairy tales and read the children’s book Gloria Goes to Gay Pride. The ad, sponsored by the ultraconservative Institute for Canadian Values, is “presenting these optional lessons as mandatory,” reports Canadian gay newspaper Xtra!
“The ad revives the ‘StopCorruptingChildren.com’ campaign that launched last year to protest proposed revisions to the physical and health education curriculum that would include more sex education for younger children,” Xtra! further notes. It also calls on all candidates running in the Ontario provincial election October 6 to oppose the revisions.
The Post has promised to look into why the ad was run, noting that it probably did not meet the paper’s usual standards. LGBT advocates have denounced the ad widely on Twitter and elsewhere, and trans activist Chase Joynt has responded with a parody ad with his own picture and text including “Please! Don’t insult me” and “Teach me to question everything.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM