Cain Regrets Staying Silent While Gay Soldier Booed
BY Julie Bolcer
October 03 2011 9:35 AM ET
Herman Cain, who is surging in polls, said that it would have been “appropriate” for him to speak in defense of the gay soldier booed by a debate audience while all the Republican presidential candidates remained silent.
Cain made the remarks to ABC’s This Week on Sunday, according to the Associated Press. His reevaluation aired the morning after President Barack Obama made it clear that support for gay and lesbian servicemembers should be a a requirement for the commander-in-chief during his speech to the Human Rights Campaign’s national dinner.
"In retrospect, because of the controversy it has created and because of the different interpretations that it could have had, yes, that probably — that would have been appropriate," said Cain, the AP reported.
Cain suggested that perhaps the audience at the Republican debate September 22 was booing the “don’t ask, don’t tell” repeal, which took effect that week. and not Stephen Hill, the soldier who asked the question.
Candidates Jon Huntsman, Gary Johnson, and Rick Santorum have all made statements to denounce the booing, which appears to have caught traction as a Democratic talking point.
Watch Christiane Amanpour's interview with Cain. The questions about the booing start around the 40-second mark.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 20 min 9 sec ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 1 hour 20 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 2 hours 21 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM