Paula Ettelbrick, Veteran LGBT Leader, Dies
BY Julie Bolcer
October 07 2011 11:35 AM ET
Paula Ettelbrick, an attorney who served the LGBT community for almost three decades in senior leadership positions at numerous high-profile organizations, died Friday morning.
Friends reported that Ettelbrick, 56, died of causes related to cancer.
During her career of more than 25 years, Ettelbrick worked for organizations including the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission, the National Center for Lesbian Rights, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, the Empire State Pride Agenda, and most recently, the Stonewall Community Foundation. She also taught at the undergraduate, graduate, and law school levels.
Cary Alan Johnson, executive director of the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission, which Ettelbrick led before joining the Stonewall Community Foundation last year, paid one of many tributes to her.
“Paula was so many things to so many people — her family, the movement, the New York City and global queer communities,” he wrote in an email. “First and foremost I can say that I found her to be so genuinely deeply unfalteringly committed to our liberation as LGBT people.”
Read more tributes to Ettelbrick at LGBT POV.
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM