Watch: Will Win Glenn Close an Oscar?
BY Jeremy Kinser
October 13 2011 3:26 PM ET
In Albert Nobbs acclaimed actress Glenn Close gives one of her most indelible performances — as an Irish woman living as a man in order to survive the difficult 19th century, struggling to gain a better life with the pretty hotel maid.
The film is a passion project for Close, who wrote the screenplay with John Banville and Gabriella Prekop. In 1982 the actress starred in the off-Broadway stage version, which was adapted from a short story by Irish author George Moore. Close also wrote the song heard in the trailer that's sung by Sinead O'Connor.
Directed by Rodrigo Garcia, Albert Nobbs costars Mia Wasikowska, Aaron Johnson, Brendan Gleeson, Janet McTeer, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Pauline Collins, and Brenda Fricker. The film will have a limited release in late December to quality for award consideration before expanding nationally January 27.
“I don’t think she knows [if she’s gay],” Close said of the character last month. “She has no knowledge of sexuality. She disappears for her own protection, but she happens to disappear into a job where you’re expected to be invisible, so she’s an invisible person in an invisible job, and that makes her lose sight of herself.”
With Nobbs, Close finds one of the most challenging roles of her incredible career and she nails it. Already a five-time Academy Award nominee, she is certain to be nominated again as Best Actress for this delicately nuanced performance. Depending on how the film is received upon release (early reviews have been strong), and with her credits as producer, screenwriter, and songwriter, Close could achieve a rare feat of being nominated for four Oscars for a single film.
Watch the trailer below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood 1 hour 16 min ago
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos 1 hour 40 min ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 5:44 PM
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 5:33 PM