Social Conservative Orgs: Cain's Marriage Position Not Extreme Enough
October 18 2011 6:06 PM ET
Herman Cain’s opposition to a federal marriage amendment isn’t sitting well with some social conservative leaders pushing for a highly unlikely constitutional prohibition.
The GOP presidential candidate stated in a Sunday interview with David Gregory on NBC’s Meet
the Press that he opposed such an amendment, though Cain said he is “pro-traditional
marriage" and recently asserted that being gay is a choice.
The Washington Post’s Jennifer Rubin then asked Concerned Women for America executive director Penny Nance and former Family Research Council president Gary Bauer about Cain’s position. Their responses?
“His answer misses the whole point,” Bauer said. “The left will not permit each state to decide. They have mounted a well conceived plan to have the federal courts order every state to recognize the same sex marriages performed in every other state. The Defense of Marriage Act prevents that now. Eventually a constitutional amendment will be needed.”
Nance said she was disappointed that Cain “doesn’t see [an anti-gay marriage amendment] as a viable option and is missing this opportunity. … I think he will find that position problematic.”
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 9 min 57 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Flash Mob Gay Marriage Proposal in Central Park 21 min 26 sec ago
- Women Cannes is Abuzz About Blue is the Warmest Color's Explicit Lesbian Sex Scenes 43 min 19 sec ago
- Sports Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia 1 hour 10 min ago
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 2 hours 6 min ago
- Transgender Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 2 hours 6 min ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 2 hours 12 min ago