Social Conservative Orgs: Cain's Marriage Position Not Extreme Enough
October 18 2011 5:06 PM ET
Herman Cain’s opposition to a federal marriage amendment isn’t sitting well with some social conservative leaders pushing for a highly unlikely constitutional prohibition.
The GOP presidential candidate stated in a Sunday interview with David Gregory on NBC’s Meet
the Press that he opposed such an amendment, though Cain said he is “pro-traditional
marriage" and recently asserted that being gay is a choice.
The Washington Post’s Jennifer Rubin then asked Concerned Women for America executive director Penny Nance and former Family Research Council president Gary Bauer about Cain’s position. Their responses?
“His answer misses the whole point,” Bauer said. “The left will not permit each state to decide. They have mounted a well conceived plan to have the federal courts order every state to recognize the same sex marriages performed in every other state. The Defense of Marriage Act prevents that now. Eventually a constitutional amendment will be needed.”
Nance said she was disappointed that Cain “doesn’t see [an anti-gay marriage amendment] as a viable option and is missing this opportunity. … I think he will find that position problematic.”
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Northern Ireland Lifts Ban on Same-Sex Couples Adopting
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM