Gay Teen Jamie Hubley Mourned
BY Julie Bolcer
October 21 2011 10:55 AM ET
Friends and relatives packed into a Catholic Church in Ottawa on Thursday for the funeral of Jamie Hubley, a gay teen who took his own life after being bullied.
The CBC reports on the service for Hubley, who was 15 and reported suffering depression and relentless bullying before he committed suicide on Saturday. He was the only openly gay teenager at his high school in west Ottawa.
Family and friends remembered Hubley and vowed to honor his legacy by continuing his work to improve the lives of gay teens. One of his goals included the creation of a club for gay teens at his high school.
The death of Hubley was mentioned in the House of Commons on Thursday, according to the CBC, when a member of the New Democratic Party asked Conservatives how they planned to address the problem of antigay bullying among young people.
The Hubley family has asked that all donations in Jamie’s honor be sent to the Youth Services Bureau of Ottawa.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 11 min 4 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 27 min 24 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 50 min 21 sec ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 40 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 24 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 36 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 hours 50 min ago